Faq - FOTA
- Q1What is FOTA? FOTA means Firmware Over-The-Air, which is a function imbedded in Alcatel Android phones to upgrade handset software to the latest version.
- Q2What’s the difference between FOTA and One Touch Upgrade?
During the upgrading process, one touch upgrade requires PC, USB cable and network; while FOTA only needs 3G network or Wi-Fi .
One touch upgrade will erase all personal data from phone memory, it is suggested to backup your personal data by PC Suite before upgrading; while FOTA will not change any user settings and personal data so it is not necessary to backup user data. However, if users update Android OS version like from Android 2.2 to 2.3, handset settings like wallpaper or ringtones will have a little changes due to different OS settings and user interface.
- Q3How can I use FOTA to make phone upgrade?
Please press “menu” key at home screen “Settings”-->“About phone”-->“System updates”-->“Check for updates”-->"Download”-->"Install”.After the above upgrade finishes successfully, please go to “Settings”-->“About phone”-->“System updates”-->“Check for updates” again to check whether there are other updates. If yes, please update again; if there is no other updates package, it means your phone software version is the latest one.
And you can set to check new firmware automatically by pressing “Auto check intervals” and select time.
- Q4Which network is applicable to check and download firmware? Both 3G and WIFI are available to check and download firmware. But WIFI is preferred.
- Q5Do I need to back up data in my SD card, SIM card and phone memory before installation?
FOTA will not erase the data in SD card, SIM card and phone memory. But there will be a message reminding you to back up your data before installation. Please neglect it as FOTA will not affect end user data including call records, messages, ringtone, wallpaper and personal setting etc. If users update Android OS version like from Android 2.2 to 2.3, handset settings like wallpaper or ringtones will have some changes due to different OS settings and user interface.
- Q6What should I do when the download fails?
Download failed might be cause by unstable Wifi or network, please try again by clicking “download” bottom (maybe need to try several times). Or you can reset and re-launch FOTA via below steps:
1. Reset FOTA application by pressing Menu key at home screen-->“Settings” -->"Applications” -->"Manage Applications”-->“FOTA App” -->Clear data-->OK.
2. Re-launch FOTA by pressing Menu key at home screen--> “Settings”-->“About phone”-->"System updates”-->“Check for updates”-->”Download”-->”Install”.
- Q7What should I do if Status bar stops during downloading?
It happens when WIFI interrupts or 3G network is not stable. In this case, the “Download” button will become bright. Please move to a place with strong signal, connect WIFI or 3G network and press “Download” button to continue the downloading progress.
For OS 2.3 system, you can control downloading process manually. If downloading stops, please click “pause”, move to a place with strong signal, and click “download” to continue.
- Q8What should I do if the phone power off automatically during downloading? In this case, system will stop but keep the downloading process and “Download” button will become bright. Please charge your phone fully or insert a new battery, and press “Download” button to continue the downloading progress.
- Q9Why does it show “Update 4” when I check firmware? Please note that this “update4” is our background system defined data. It’s just the firmware name which doesn’t mean that you need to update 4 times.
- Q10How can I know that the phone is upgraded successfully?
Your handset status bar will show “upgrade successful” after upgrading.
In order to avoid missing another new software package, it is suggested to check update again by going to “Settings”-->“About phone”-->“System updates”-->“Check for updates” so as to make sure your handset is installed with the latest software version.
- Q11What should I do if the phone power off automatically during installing? Usually the system will pop up a message to remind you of charging handset if your battery power is less than 10%.
If your handset power off during installing, please charge your handset fully then press “menu” key at home screen -->“Settings”--> “About phone”-->“System updates” -->“Install”.
- Q12Why doesn’t “auto-check intervals” function? “Auto-check intervals” doesn’t function when your phone stops at the firmware upgrade manager interface. In this case, please get back to phone home screen for Android 2.1 or 2.2 phones.
For Android 2.3 phones, please press “menu” key at home screen -->“Settings”-->“Applications”-->“Running services”-->Select “Firmware upgrade manager”--> Stop
- Q13Why does my Android phone have no “system updates” option? Please note that it is because your phone software doesn’t support FOTA. In this case, please upgrade your phone with OTU or go to Alcatel repair center for software upgrade, then check whether your phone has “system updates” option or not. Currently FOTA supporting models include one touch 908 and 990 only.
- Q14What can I do when my phone froze during FOTA installation? If you phone froze during installation, please extract battery, then insert the battery and re-power on the phone, the phone will reboot to previous version. Then you can reset and re-launch FOTA app again via below steps.
1. Reset FOTA app via below way: Setting--> Applications --> Manage Applications --> FOTA app --> clear data.
2. And then you can re-launch FOTA via below steps:
Pressing “Menu” key at home screen --> “Settings”--> “About phone”--> “System updates”--> “Check for updates”--> "Download”--> "Install”.
- Q15Is there any video about FOTA?
Video 1 about normal FOTA updating process;
Video 2 about what to do if downloading or installing fail;
Video 3 about what to do if downloading stops or no power during downloading
- Q16Could I use FOTA update without SD card?
Please note that SD card is mandatory for FOTA update to check firmware and the downloading software package will be stored in SD card. Please free some space on SD card for FOTA update.
- Q17Why is download process slow?
It is highly recommended to use Wi-Fi instead of 3G network to download.
Download speed depends on Wi-Fi speed of internet provider. Please check Wi-Fi speed to make sure download process runs smoothly and fast.