Faq - ONE TOUCH 918
- Q1How can I forward or copy a message? Please long press the message and then a list of options will appear on the screen. You can choose the option by touching it.
- Q2I was requested to input my Google account during the setup wizard when I switch it on for the first time. Can I use the phone without a Google account? Yes, you can use the phone without a Google account. One Touch 918 is a smart phone with Android system which has built in programs such as Google mail and Google Market, which request a Google account for application. It is suggested to have a Google account so that you can fully use all the functions of Android operating system.
- Q3Why couldn’t I power on my phone with low battery when the phone is being charged?
Your phone can’t power on until the voltage reaches to certain value when the phone is being charged. Please wait for a moment to power on your phone.
- Q4How can I find the recently used programs? Please long press Home key and the recently used programs will be displayed on the screen.
- Q5How can I set my incoming call ringtone? Please press “menu” key at home screen -> “settings” -> “Audio profiles” -> Select your profiles -> “Phone ringtone” ? Select the ringtone you want to set.
You can also go to main menu -> “Music” -> Open an mp3 file which you want to set as your incoming call ringtone -> press “menu” -> "Use as ringtone”.
- Q6How can I forward incoming call to another phone? Please press “menu” key at home screen -> “Settings” -> “Call Settings” -> “Voice Call”-> “Call forwarding” -> “Always forward” -> Input the phone number which you want to forward to and enable it.
- Q7How can I attach attachment into MMS? The maximum message size of one touch 918 is 300KB. You can attach any attachment within this size by following steps:
Create a new message -> touch “Menu” key -> “Attach” -> select the file which you want to attach.
You can also attach more than one attachment by following below steps, but the total size of these attachments should be within 300KB.
Create a new message -> touch “Menu” key -> “Attach” ->“Slideshow” -> “Slide 1” -> “Add picture” -> select the file which you want to attach -> touch “Menu” key -> “Add slide” -> “Add picture” -> repeat if you need to attach more attachments.
You can also add music as attachment if you press “Add music” instead of “Add slide”.
- Q8How can I set my own MP3 files as SMS ringtone? Please go to menu-->"File manager"-->press “Menu” key -->"New folder"-->input "Notifications" as the folder name-->OK-->Copy the MP3 files to this new folder "Notifications";
Then go to menu-->"Messaging"-->press "Menu" key--> “Settings"-->"Select ringtone"-->you will find your MP3 files here, please select one--OK.
- Q9Could I un-mount the SD card when the phone is power on? Please note that you need to power off your phone before you un-mount SD card, which will prevent corrupting or damaging the files in SD card.
- Q10Why does my phone prompt me to close the voicemail message when I try to listen to my voicemail？ Please upgrade your phone with one touch upgrade which can be downloaded from the following website: http://www.alcatelonetouch.com/global-en/support/download/ot-918.html ; or you can long press “1” at the dial interface to listen the voicemail.
- Q11How can I transfer files by Bluetooth? Please press “menu” key at home screen -> “Settings” -> “Wireless & networks” -> Turn on “Bluetooth”. Then please go to main menu -> “File Manager” -> Long press the file which you want to send via Bluetooth -> “Share” ->? “Bluetooth” -> Select a device, then the file will be transferred.
- Q12Why doesn’t my earphone work properly? One touch 918 has refined design in earphone connector which can only be compatible with the original earphone. Please use the original earphone.
- Q13Why couldn’t I see the SD card on PC? 1. Please make sure your SD card is undamaged and can be recognized by your handset.
2. Please make sure the right USB cable for One Touch 918 is used.
3. When you connect the handset to PC, you’ll get the notification of “USB connected”. Please press “Turn on USB storage”, and then you can access your SD card on PC.
- Q14How should I stop the connection between SD card and PC? If you want to stop the connection between SD card and PC, please click the status bar on home screen and drag it down, then click “Turn off USB storage”-> “Turn off”.
- Q15How can I change the Input Method? Firstly please make sure the input methods you need have been installed in your phone. Then go to “messaging” ->”New messages”-> Long press the blank area and click “Input method” on the popup window, you can select the input method that you want.
- Q16 How can I add/move/delete the application on the home screen?
You can add/move the applications on home screen in the following two ways:
1. Press menu key at keyboard, click “Add”, and choose an item: Shortcuts / Widgets/ Folders/ Wallpapers, then click the application which you want to add on the home screen.
2. Press the application icon for about 2 seconds, the icon will be displayed and moved on home screen.
If you want to delete the application on the home screen, please press the application icon on home screen for about 2 seconds, the icon will then become bigger and a trash can icon will appear at the bottom of home screen. The application will be deleted from the home screen if you drag the application icon to the trash can.
- Q17 Why couldn’t I see my contacts in the SIM card?
The contacts in the SIM card need to be imported to handset before you use them. Please press Menu key when you get in the contacts interface, then choose “Import/Export” -> Select place which you copy contacts from -> “Next” -> Select place which you copy contacts to -> “Next” -> Select contacts -> “Copy” .
- Q18Can I use the phone without SD card? Yes, the phone can be used without SD card. But the SD card is mandatory for some applications, such as camera, camcorder and downloading files from internet. We suggest you have an SD card, so that you can fully use all the functions.
- Q19How can I install programs like tools and games? APK (Android Package) file is the installation file for Android phone, which can be downloaded from Google Market or other websites. Please copy APK files to the SD card and use the built-in “File Manager” program to open it, then follow the setup wizard to finish the installation.
Please be noted that the third-party APK files downloaded from other websites except Google Market are not allowed to be installed by default due to security reason. You can change the setting by the following method: “Setting” -> “Applications”, then activate “Unknown sources” option.
- Q20How can I uninstall the programs? The built-in programs in the handset are not allowed to be uninstalled. You can only uninstall the applications installed by yourself.
Please press “menu” key at home screen ->“Settings”->"Applications” -> “Manage applications”, then you can see the applications installed by yourself. Please click the one that you want to uninstall and follow the uninstall process.
- Q21How can I connect to Wi-Fi?
Please press “menu” key at home screen -> “Settings” -> “Wireless & networks” -> Turn on “Wi-Fi” -> Press “Wi-Fi settings” -> Select “Network notification” -> press “menu” key -> “Scan” -> The available Wi-Fi networks will be listed.
Press the network which you want to connect. If the connection is successful, the Wi-Fi icon will be shown on the top of the status bar, near the antenna signal icon.
Please be noted that the Wi-Fi function could be failed if static IP is activated. You can deactivate “Use static IP” by pressing “Menu” key at home screen ->"Settings” ->"Wireless & networks”->Turn on “Wi-Fi” ->Press “Wi-Fi settings” -> press menu key -> “Advanced” -> deactivate “Use static IP”.
- Q22 Why is there no display when I click Map or GPS? The phone requires around 5 minutes to access the GPS satellite and to get the best positioning when you use the GPS for the first time. A better and quicker positioning requires to be stable in a place with clear view of the sky. The GPS needs around 20-40s to get the best positioning after the first time.
- Q23Why is there a yellow line at the bottom of phone screen when I scroll down the screen? You have reached the end of this page when this sign shows up. You will also find the same sign at the top of screen when you scroll screen up to the top. This is a default setting in Android2.3.
- Q24Why does my screen orientation adjust itself?
The screen can orientate automatically with the machine moving. You can go to “setting”-> “Display” ->“Auto-rotate screen” to deactivate it.
- Q25How can I set the unlock pattern?
Please press “menu” key at home screen -> “Settings” -> “Security” -> “Set up screen lock”-> “Pattern”.
An example of unlock pattern will appear on the screen to show you how to do. Click “Next” to continue.
Draw an unlock pattern as you want and memorize it. Click “continue”.
Draw the pattern again and click “confirm”. Now the pattern is the unlock pattern for your phone.
- Q26I forget the screen unlock pattern. How can I unlock the screen now?
If you forget the screen unlock pattern, please make user data format in the following way:
Turn off the handset, press the volume up key and the Power key at the same time for a few seconds until you see the reset interface, then press “Home” key -> Select “wipe data/factory reset” via volume key -> Press “menu” key to confirm -> Select “Yes->delete all user data” -> Press “menu” key to confirm again -> Please select “reboot system now” and press “menu” to confirm to reboot your phone. The handset can be used without screen unlock pattern after its reboot.
Please be noted that user data format will erase all data from your phone (not include SD card files and current system software).
- Q27Why does my phone work slower than before? When too many temporary files have been stored in memory, it may affect system response. We suggest you find suitable APK from Android Market to clean your database. Please do not install too many applications in system which might affect the operation performance. It is suggested to use “Task manager” to kill the unused running programs and use “File manager” to uninstall the unnecessary applications. You can also visit our website to find the latest software to update your system.
- Q28Why couldn’t I get the location fixed by GPS suddenly? If your moving speed is around 8-10km/h, you will not get a location fixed by GPS. Please reduce the speed or have a stop for 20-30 seconds, then you can get the location fixed.
- Q29 Why isn’t Gtalk connected and why couldn’t I download application on Android Market by using Wi-Fi? Please confirm that your Wi-Fi router or firewall is not blocking pot 5228(TCP and UDP). You can read the user guide of your Wi-Fi equipment or contact your IT for more details.
- Q30Why is there a notification of connection error or certificates error when I use mail or Face book/Twitter/Opera mini? If the time or time zone is not correctly set, the phone might have connection error or certificates error when you use the above applications. Please set your handset’s time to the correct local time including time zone, date and time.
- Q31How can I reduce flow for web browsing? Please go to main menu -> “Browser” -> Press “menu” key -> “More” -> “Settings” -> Cancel “Load images”, then the images will not display when you browse internet.
- Q32 How can I set up my Internet connection?
1．Please go to menu-> “Setting”-> "Wireless & networks”
2. Select “Mobile networks” -> “Access Point Names” ->you can select a corresponding APN or press “Menu” key-> Create a “New APN”
3. Please input the data according to local network parameter.
4. After above parameters have been entered and saved, please go to “Menu” key on home screen -> “Settings”-> “SIM management” -> “Data connection” -> Select your operator. After the above steps are done, you can access Internet.
If you have any question, please contact us.
- Q33How can I use my phone as modem?
There are two methods to use the phone as modem:
Method 1: By using USB tethering
1. Please make sure USB driver has been installed in PC;
2. Please connect your phone to PC via USB cable, then go to main menu ->“Settings”"-> “Wireless & networks”->”Tethering & portable hotspot” -> activate “USB tethering”
Method 2: By using portable Wi-Fi hotspot
1. Please go to main menu ->“Settings”"->Wireless & networks”->”Tethering & portable hotspot” -> activate “Portable Wi-Fi hotspots -> Go to “portable WI-FI hotspot settings” ->press “configure Wi-Fi hotspot” to change device name and set up password ->save
2. Please activate the wireless network connection of your computer and it will auto search the wireless signal; then connect it and input the same password.
Note: 1. Please make sure bluetooth is off when you are using portable hotspots; 2. Please turn off portable Wi-Fi hotspot when you are not using it for security concern.
Once phone and PC get connected, the phone can act as a modem.
- Q34Why does my Android phone become warm? The phone will become warm following prolonged calls, game playing, internet surfing or running other complex applications. This heating is a normal consequence of the CPU handling excessive data. Ending above actions will make your phone return to normal temperature.
- Q35How can I make my battery last longer?
Firstly, please close some applications which are not used in background.
Please press menu key->Setting->“Applications”->“Running services”->select the idle programs that you are not using and stop them.
Secondly, please adjust the screen brightness.
Please press menu key from home screen->“Settings”->“Display”->“Brightness”.
Thirdly, please deactivate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when you are not using them.
Please press menu key from home screen->“Settings”-> “Wireless & networks” ->deactivate “Bluetooth” and “Wi-Fi”.
Fourthly, you can disable “Background data”.
Please press menu key from home screen->“Settings”-> “Accounts & sync” -> Disable “Background data”
- Q36Why does my phone screen become black when I end a call?
One Touch 918 has a proximity sensor. With this sensor, the LCD backlight will turn off automatically when the phone closes to your skin and will light on again when the phone is apart. This design can help to save power consumption.
If there is some dirt on proximity sensor lens, the proximity sensor might not work normally and your phone screen might become black and couldn’t response even if you press any key after ending a call. In this case, please clean the surface of proximity sensor lens and re-power on the phone (sometimes you might need to remove the battery first).
It is suggested to keep your proximity sensor lens always clean during your daily using. Proximity sensor’s position is as below for your reference:
- Q37 Why couldn’t my phone detect SDHC Card? Firstly please make sure your SDHC card is not damaged or scratched and has been correctly inserted. Secondly please note that your phone only supports some kinds of SDHC card except UHS-I, UHS-II or above cards. You can follow below table to check the mark. If the mark on your SD card is in below table, it means the card can’t be used in your phone. For more detail, please contact your SDHC card supplier.
- Q38Where can I download source code for my phone? Please feel free to download source code for your phone from the following website: